my rekindled sanctuary.

my rekindled sanctuary.

travel and places
a self proclaimed foodie
my creative photography attempts
music and books that helps me escape
my random thoughts.

a summary of the things i love, like and find interesting - bits and pieces of my life.

enjoy, explore and discover..

advertlets

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Day Spent on Jack's Ridge

A Review on Jack's Ridge, Davao

Our stay in Jack’s Ridge is an out of the blue decision since I was not able to remember places I’ve researched except this one. So I advise the driver to drop us there and he obligingly does so. Once in the place I can say it has a good location with a good overview of the city and the Davao Gulf (even better at night) but I am limited only on checking its amenities like restaurants, piano bar and the amphitheater.


The receptionist was friendly and patient to explain the terms from down payment to staying there. And the rest of the staff there is accommodating and friendly though they ask me a couple of times where I came from. The said part is he is quite slow to process my request and makes me wait a bit longer (almost 30 minutes).


For the room, it is a small hut complete with small cable television (an old school one), telephone for in-house call, towels and soap, personal refrigerator, and small side cabinet plus the menu of the restaurants. The room size is small that we look so packed inside along with the things inside (imagine sardines in a can). The room has small veranda with the view of the city also and it is the only place in the room that allow us to access Wi fi but the signal is not too weak to almost none thus we end up going to the café for a stronger signal. Also the fridge on the room is too old that there were rust forming on some parts inside and I recommend not using it. And at night, there are many mosquitos lounging around the room and the stairs.
Amenities wise it’s good to have 3 restaurants to choose from though the price particularly Taklobo Restaurant is quite expensive and all of them have service charge on top of the bill. The pool is good but they got a different charge for its use (as shown on the sign near the area) so we’d opted not to check on it anymore.


Overall, Jack’s Ridge is a good place to eat (if you want to spend a little) and unwind due to the view it offers, the park and the big amphitheater. But I don’t recommend staying there for two reasons: 1.) It is far from the town center and 2.) the hut/room we stay is not a good one for my opinion. And there are there are many pension, inns and hotel in Davao much better to stay.

Tidbits on Jack’s Ridge (some taken from their site):

Jack's Ridge is located in Shrine Hills, Matina, Davao city. It is 30 minutes away from the town proper. It has 3 main restaurants namely Taklobo Restaurant, Kai’s Bar and Grill and the Karlo’s Coffee. Its location was part of the headquarters of the retreating Japanese forces towards the end the of World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment