my rekindled sanctuary.

my rekindled sanctuary.

travel and places
a self proclaimed foodie
my creative photography attempts
music and books that helps me escape
my random thoughts.

a summary of the things i love, like and find interesting - bits and pieces of my life.

enjoy, explore and discover..

advertlets

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Davao 2011: Afternoon Trip to The Philippine Eagle Center and Orchid Garden

Davao Trip 2011 - Day 2

After some rest, we head out for another trip. The afternoon starts with trip to Philippine Eagle Center (PEC) and Orchid Garden.


Going to PEC, we took a van going there which cost us PHP30 each but it took more than an hour ride. We took off at Calinan. From there a trike or motorbike ride is needed to each the center. A driver asked for a PHP150 going since there will be no one riding him when he heads back to the Calinan. Afterwards, he then asked for addition PHP50 for waiting and a ride back to Calinan. The trike stops at the entrance of the Davao City Water District (DCWD) Watershed Park in Malagos, just at the foot of Mt. Apo. A fee of PHP20 was collected at the entrance then we walk at the silent park despite a few number of people particularly the kids roaming around.

Then we pay another fee of PHP50 at the entrance of the PEC. I thought there will be a tour guide but I think they offer it for groups going inside (we were just two people). We follow the signs inside the area. I was impressed on the size of the well maintained area and on the big cages provided. There big tress and collections of plants and colorful flowers to simulate the natural habitat for the animals. Aside from eagle, there are also crocodile, monkeys, owls and other bird species. We explore the area until we finally saw the eagle that makes the place famous, Pag- asa. He is the first Philippine Eagle bred in captivity.



After an hour, we decided to head to an orchid farm. We first stop at Malagos Garden Resort but there was an entrance fee and my friend is not interested on the show thus we chose to go to the orchid garden just across the road. Pictures were taken with the orchids and other plants on the nursery. O guides there yet I was able to check details on the poster on the walls and got some information on the three sellers cum caretakers inside the garden. We stay there for a while then head back to the main road. Unfortunately, the trike driver ask for additional PHP200 for waiting for us instead of what we agreed earlier (he is lucky I was not able to take a picture of his face) and I want to smack him but to avoid argument, I paid him.



After that, we head back our hotel at San Pedro. We ride another van that cost us PHP35 per person for reason that the road back is longer than the first one. Being new, it’s hard to remember all the names of the streets thus we missed the street where we should got off. I only realize we are lost when I saw the SM Mall in Davao. I tried to ask details but most of them answer me using the local dialect which I don’t understand. We tried to ask the driver if we are near the My Hotel but instead of answering he ask the remaining passengers that he will drop us off at the hotel. However he took us on several hotel and in including Marco Polo thinking My Hotel is not the name of the place we are staying (honestly it is quite confusing). Then a woman inside the van remembers the name of the hotel as well as the complete street address and that’s when the driver realized he taking us to wrong places.

I end up laughing at myself once back in the hotel. Me and my friend rest and refresh before heading out to park and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment